- nouna bomb that gives off thick smoke when it explodes; used to make a smoke screen or to mark a position• Syn: ↑smoke grenade• Hypernyms: ↑bomb
* * *noun: a chemical bomb containing a smoke-producing substance; especially : any of various smoke flares that trail a streamer of smoke and are dropped from airplanes to mark targets for air attack, to screen targets from air attack, or to show wind direction over water
* * *a bomb that produces a continuous discharge of smoke rather than an explosion, used to mark a target for aerial attack, indicate wind direction, produce a smoke screen, etc.[1915-20]
* * *smoke bomb nounA bomb that emits smoke on bursting• • •Main Entry: ↑smoke
* * *a bomb that creates a cloud of smoke when it explodesThesaurus: types of bomb, explosive or missilehyponym
* * *smoke bomb,a bomb that gives off a dense cloud of smoke, used especially to conceal military movements.
* * *n. a bomb that emits dense smoke as it explodes, used to produce a smoke screen
* * *noun, pl ⋯ bombs [count]: a bomb that produces a lot of smoke when it explodes
Police threw smoke bombs at the rioters.
* * *ˈsmoke bomb [smoke bomb smoke bombs] nouna bomb that produces clouds of smoke when it explodes
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
smoke bomb — smoke bombs N COUNT A smoke bomb is a bomb that produces clouds of smoke when it explodes … English dictionary
smoke bomb — smoke ,bomb noun count a bomb that creates a cloud of smoke when it explodes … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
smoke bomb — n. a kind of bomb containing chemicals which when ignited give off dense clouds of smoke … English World dictionary
smoke bomb — n something that lets out clouds of smoke when it is thrown, used especially by police to control crowds … Dictionary of contemporary English
Smoke bomb — A smoke bomb is a firework designed to produce smoke upon ignition. While there are smoke generating devices that are dropped from airplanes, the term smoke bomb is used to describe the three types of devices:# A smoke ball is a hollow, cherry… … Wikipedia
smoke bomb — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms smoke bomb : singular smoke bomb plural smoke bombs a bomb that creates a cloud of smoke when it explodes … English dictionary
smoke bomb — /ˈsmoʊk bɒm/ (say smohk bom) noun 1. a bomb which, when set off, emits a large quantity of smoke, as used for military purposes, in theatricals, demonstrations, etc. –verb (t) 2. to hurl a smoke bomb at. –smoke bomber, noun … Australian English dictionary
smoke bomb — bomb which emits smoke in order to create a smoke screen or signal … English contemporary dictionary
smoke bomb — An air dropped bomb that emits smoke either on impact or while in descent. The former normally is a practice bomb, and the smoke is used to plot errors; the latter is used to calculate wind velocity … Aviation dictionary
smoke bomb — a bomb that produces a continuous discharge of smoke rather than an explosion, used to mark a target for aerial attack, indicate wind direction, produce a smoke screen, etc. [1915 20] * * * … Universalium